Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Ice Caves

So much to catch up with. Busy week here at the office. We are moving to our new location in downtown G-Vine. I've clocked my new office drive to be .8 miles from my house. That's right less than a mile..it's almost a weird feeling. My current office is about 6 miles but I've never really thought about it.

Had a fun filled weekend in League City which is south of Houston around the Clearlake/Friendswood area. I guess I've been given the wrong impression of Houston. Its like any other big city. The suburbs of Houston are actually quite nice. Tiff and I went to visit her Grandmother that was the reason for the trip. She is a very interesting lady that has seen many changes in our spinning world. Oh and did I mention she can cook gumbo? Yeah! We visited the Galveston area on Saturday and that was the first time I had been their. Kind of touristy but nice..so funny to see all the different landscapes in Texas. What a unique state. All I could think about was the difference in the coastal port area of Galveston and the plains of West Texas...what a difference!!

Talked to the folks the other day. Sounds like the new lot they bought on Lake Superior a few years back will now sleep some peeps. My dad just finished putting some bunk beds in what he calls a sleep cabin. I'm sure its made out of wood. I've got to get home at some point to see this place. I've only seen pictures..that's sad. I'm thinking I might head home this Christmas for a visit. Nothing quite like snowshoeing through a bunch of huge trees with sparkling wet snow that has just fell from the night before...weighing so heavy on the tree that all the branches are slumped over. Then breaking for a cold beer and a grilled hot dog over the open flames of a campfire. Then decideding which ice cave to explore first. Some of my best memories as a kid were of these ice caves. I'm not sure exactly how they were formed but they were incredible. Waves along Superior especially in stormy weather can get rather large and during the freezing temperatures these huge monster Canadian Tsunami's crash into the rocks and start to form caves and cool structures. I can remember going inside these caves. Entering through a small opening that would unveil a huge skating rink with a cool disco type ice structure on the ceiling. Not sure it was a disco light...I think that's my imagination playing tricks on me. I also vividly remember one year on Lake Huron for some reason the ice shifted. Almost like two plates of the earth's crust. The ice heaved into a huge mountain of ice crystals that I recall climbing with the family. It's memories like this that make me miss the pure outdoor beauty of that country.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Ah yes the Lake Jackson folks...I couldn't find their mosquito net from the freeway. I was looking for an enclosed dome like backyard setup. No luck sorry good fella!!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home