Friday, May 20, 2005

Week Three!!!!

I'm not discouraged by the lack of comments on the musical meltdown...If I have to do this as a public service where people can maybe learn something about an artist/band..then so be it. We continue with week three! I get all excited about this so bare with me. I also want to comment on what seems to be happening at least here in Dallas/Ft.Worth. Something is in the air these days...its finally starting to catch on and people I think are finally not only listening to this brand of music(original..real etc) but they are starting to absorb it. Really listening! And because of this the live shows are starting to become more and more packed. I hope its not just a rare occurrence but I hope people are really catching on! I can't tell you how many people I introduced to this scene and its so easy to tailor what their tastes are to what they would like. Ok so get on with this boy..you say..here you go

1. Wayne"The Train" Hancock- http://www.waynehancock.com/
Yes this will definitely stir up one person in particular. Bryan fire away. The so called master of hillbilly swing. Very different voice and very different overall. He is definitely original in the truest sense of the word. Probably my favorite would have to be "Thunderstorms and Neon Signs"

2. Quatropaw- http://www.geocities.com/quatropaw/
The Austin installment for the week. This is a very unique group that I stumbled across on one of my Austin adventures. I'm pretty sure it was at Antone's and the sucker that I am I bought a cd. After like one song I really dug the sound..picture two lead singers male and female both with acoustic guitars playing them like electric guitars. It was really cool! The female had an scratchy incredible voice that I thought reminded me of like a Joplin ese sound. Again I've only seen them live once but do own a cd and I would definitely recommend you Austinites check them out.

3. Red Bud Revival- http://www.redbudrevival.com/main.html
And what would a musical blog be without our friends from across the red. I have heard of these guys on the Oklahoma scene before but it was until a guy that I work with told me about them that its sparked some curiosity. Eric Shutt has his own band called The Mermaid Surprise which we will discuss at a later date. He produced or worked with these guys on their last album and mentioned them to me. Well as it turns out I think I may have seen them before but its a little foggy. I'm not real familiar with their music but I've heard good things about these guys. I recently spoke to Travis Linville about them and he had many good things to say(I'd trust his judgment!).

4. The Tragically Hip- http://www.thehip.com/
Talk about a very unheard of group down here but legends in the mother land of Canada. These guys are the Canadian band that many measure up too. The standard if you may! For reals...check out this "busy" website! I would say this band formed much of my musical interest growing up in Canada in the late 80's and early 90's. I seriously tell people that while everyone and their dog was listening to REM and U2 I wasn't...this is what I was listening too. In my opinion their album "Road Apples" is one of the greatest albums I've ever owned. If you get a chance try and download or listen to some songs off of it. A real rock and roll sound with everything just so right. And to all my friends out there kick me in the arse the next time you are over and make me pull this album out for your listening pleasures! Seriously folks "The Hip" as they're referred to as are the kickin.

5. Bleu Edmondson- http://www.bleuedmondson.com/index.php Not really sure where to go with this one. I'm sure the comment section will take good care of this one. Not a real big fan in fact here's a guy that has big wigged me before and it didn't go over so well. He has probably one of the better guitar players playing with him in none other than Coby Wier. Coby is an outstanding talent that deserves to be in a better situation(thats only my opinion). Bleu has some ok material but I just have that bad taste in my mouth..plus acoustically solo he blows. Ok enough ranting...I'm not on here to bash artists. Say what you will I won't be offended.

4 Comments:

Blogger courtney said...

drew~
i'll have to check out a couple of those. i'm with you on bleu. not a fan. not that i have any talent whatsoever, just don't dig him.

and don't worry about offending people. i offend people daily on my blog. that's what they're for....YOUR opinion...others can take it or leave it.

peace.
~C

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jealine Bernabe said...

Andrew thanks for your comment. Please catch my blog tomorrow on it's funky and attitude look. I'll give my blog a touch of punk and color. Please send me what you think about the funky look. Keep on updating me with the latest music. :)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Craig...thats right you were with me at that show..how could I forget..well most shows end up blurry. And B I think you are right I'm pretty sure they have played ACL but I might be confusing them with Blue Rodeo..

3:03 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Ahh yes we encourage the "FREE DROPS" on here!

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home